National Marine Week
10-16 October 2011
In partnership with BirdLife South Africa's Seabird Division, DEA (Department of Environmental Affairs), Iziko Museums and this year the City of Cape Town and the V&A Waterfront, it promises to be bigger and better than ever.
The programme includes (some still to be confirmed):
- Free lectures from top speakers in the field of Seabird and Marine Conservation with free cheese and wine.
- An 'Oceans of Life' photographic competition, with all the finalists displayed at Iziko South African Museum for the duration (click here for the competition rules)
- A school kids art/sculptor competition using waste plastic
- An open-air concert in the Waterfront
- The SA Aghulas moored at the waterfront as a floating education venue for school kids
- A pelagic trip for seabird enthusiasts on the SA Aghulas, at the end of the week
- Displays of many sponsors and coastal environmental agencies throughout the shopping malls of the V&A Waterfront
- Promotion of the SASSI (South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative) at all restaurants in the V&A Waterfront
Watch this space for details or contact the Seabird Division:
Tel: 021 419 7347 or email [email protected]
Visit the BirdLife website: www.birdlife.org.za